Saturday, May 19, 2007

May Day Outing with Children Aid Society~

Harlowez people.. Well I wanna share my experience about an outing with the little children from this home.. The story goes like this, NTUC union would organise such outing for them so that they can enjoy themselves for a day..

So I went to the home located in between SIM and Ngee Ann Polytechnic.. Heh I was a bit late becos I mis-calculated my timing.. and of course, the bus was way off target.. but that's not the main point.. So let's go into details of the outing..

Well, there's a total of 24 children going with a total 22 volunteers there.. What impress me a lot is that, when their student teacher tells the kids to buddy a volunteer..2 of them just automatically super-glued themselves to me..one of them is called Bryan and the other Haly (sp).. but their student teacher does not allow 2 of them to be with me so they got separated.. what an irony cause my senior actually informed me that I would take care of 2 instead of 1.. but now job's easier..

So off we headed for the kampong glam where we played some old traditional games.. I was assigned to 'chate' (sp) and sparta tarwak (sp).. hehe my spelling was terrible i realised.. but it doesnt matter.. haha.. then I played with 5 of kids and demonstrated some of my skills.. didnt really manage to display impressively but I enjoy playing with them.. surely from their looks, they too had fun..

After that, we headed to Esplanade to look and the merlion.. I was given in dept history lesson that now I realised why Merlion was our symbol.. The lion represent Lion City, in which it comes from the word 'Singapura'.. And the fish.. reminds us that we were once a fishing village before Sir Stamford Raffles came.. this is called 'Temasek' - a fishing town..

Next up, the Singapore Expo where the kids had their lunch there, having a Fillet-O and a medium fries and a can of coke.. The kids are generally well-behaved but violent and mischievous if you ask me.. when you give them a balloon sword.. they can use it and create violence in their play time.. But one thing that caught me was that despite their roughness yet they make sure none was left out and they enjoy playing together.. I was impressed by them because there's even no discrimination and no gender as they played.. They reminded me of how children can that innocent..

After lunch, we headed for Snow City, where the kids and even us, volunteers got a fun time together.. As Haly was big enough to play with his gang, a little girl.. oops I forgot her name, haha.. she kept calling me Kor Kor, and I forgot to ask her name.. came to me and requested me to play with her.. So I went inside and played with her, ensuring her safety yet playing with her.. She reminded me of when I was 15.. I used to play with a girl called Amenda, she was sweet, cute and lovely.. then with her friend, Carrissa, we 3 went to play the snow slide together, it was very fun, we went up there 4 times, each of them wanting to sit on my lap and there we go down.. Swwoooss~~ haha.. I had to bring them out 2 times on the occasion that they cannot take the temperature of -5 degrees.. Best part, I was in 3/4!! haha.. in the end, I was the one transmitting heat to them.. Warm blooded lah.. haha.. It was a memorable session there.. although it was short only an hour, I think it was the highlight of the outing.. It was then.. after that event, I see many kids coming up to me.. the 2 of them even requested me to take them around Science Centre later, leaving aside their volunteer, but I told them to accompany their volunteers and make them feel welcome..

On the way back to the home, I was given a can of coke by a girl whom I consider naughty and I even did not really play or talk to her.. This surprised me and well, the whole bus knows about this.. I was then reminded that even the naughty ones, God still cares for them.. You will not know what impact you may have on their lives, but when they response you can feel how importance a 1 day event like this can mean to them..

I was encouraged by this outing and strengthening my believe that I really like kids.. They are innocent and very much needed us, to guide them, to love them, to be a bigger brother to them, to be examplary to them.. This was how much I learnt from or say a re-fresher course.. I thank God for making this outing possible, I hope that one day as they look back on this chapter of life, they will remember that fun is not just through playing but by doing it together.. I will pray for this kids that they will come to know the GOD in time to come.. Thank you, Lord..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home