Monday, April 10, 2006

Church of Singapore (Bukit Timah)

Ok I delicate this portion to my first experience stepping into my fellow sister church.. Before I continue.. I shall give a brief introduction on why I decided to step into this church.. Ok prior to this session.. I am always wondering..

Why is the growth in my youth in the church so slow or is there any growth in the first place?
Why are the youths in my church so 'clicky'?
Are we getting too complacent or too self-centered?
If newcomer(s) is to come, will we be able to give them the warmth of our fellowship?
Why am I feeling so out-casted despite being 'active' in my youth?
Is it me or my cell that I am getting less or minimum support from within?
Are we doing enough to encourage or edify each other with our weekly activities?
What are our goals and resolutions for Year 2006?
Are we doing things in line with the church theme?
Are our youths really growing spiritually?
What are their purpose(s) of coming for service?
Do they understand the importance of pre-service prayer?
Or understand the importance of being in a cell group? The role of the cell leader? The direction the cell group should be heading..etc
And many more.. Questions left untold..

So when I get to know that COS (Bt)'s youth is called Youth Impact (YI).. I was wondering in my heart.. How did the youths there expands until they got to spilt their service into 2 sessions.. one in the afternoon from 2.15-4.30pm and the main service from 4.45-7pm.. with 15mins delicated to pre-service prayer.. So their total congregation strength is like more than 400.. And to be honest, I am attracted by the figure.. Curious to find out who made up this figure.. So with all the questions in my mind.. I prayed to God to give me an opportunity to go down to YI to have a good visitation..

The day came when I least expected.. Just as I thought everything was perfectly fine.. I was injured with my dear left foot got sprained.. Crippled but still it didn't stop me from going for their service.. I am very grateful and thankful that my Boss accompanied me there.. And providing me with the additional support I need.. Can't imagine how life will be like without you.. Thank you..

As I stepped into the church premises.. I was amazed by the crowds.. They're all gathered together enjoying each other's fellowship and communion..Then there's this youth worker called wai peng came up to us and intro herself and welcome us into their service..Ok as I was crippled climbing the stairs was bad and to walk crippled was even worse.. So in my heart, I was saying a little prayer to Jesus, and I'll be alright..And slowly and surely..God answered my prayer.. my walking steps are better off and now I wanna write about my impression of their youth service..

Although figures are Big.. I was impressed that there were ushers to guide along the way.. And what impressed me right from the start is.. Their youth's attitude towards prayer.. The youths when they entered the santuary (like our chapel).. they automatically went to the front.. gathered into groups and started praying for the service, themselves and for friends.. There at once I knew that the Holy Spirit was in our midst.. I see the passion, the hunger and the desire of their prayers did stir in me.. If the above questions are left un-answered.. This short 15 mins pre-service prayer session did answer MOST of my doubts.. I meant Really.. I was very touched.. blessed and more importantly, encouraged..

So I'll continued onto the Praise & Worship portion.. becos the youths are already with the Spirit.. You can really witness what true worship is like.. It's not about the songs as we sang in ypm.. it's not about the level of music or voices.. it's not about the numbers.. it's not about who the worship leader is.. But it's about the heart & the attitude.. They including me & boss are really freely worshipping God in that session.. It really feel like I am falling into the arms of a Mighty God.. It's nt just a feeling but I know that He IS REAL.. so much difference from ypm when we sang the same songs.. The heart of worship is missing!! And I'm going to pray hard for my ypm.. I'll describe more when it comes..

So after a good 35-45mins of worship.. It's time for sermon (corrected thanks to someone).. The sermon was good.. It was really into the topic about generation.. it's gap in btw and who made up the generation and what we should do on our part.. I won't talk much about it but.. I want to comment that their youths really know each other well despite more than 200+.. The more surprising thing was that they had younger kids with them.. with age 10yrs old as their youngest member!! can you believe it? I am like asking myself.. when will the kids in CM wanna come to YPM when they got their own service on Sundays.. I am really feeling so embrassed becos COS (MP) is the main branch.. but yet our efforts can't be compared with a church whose population is small..

To make matters even more encouraging.. YI actually cater dinner for its youths.. I am also like WOW.. Although I was tempted to stay back but the food at Bukit Timah Food Centre is calling me.. So.. neh..

To conclude.. The visitation there to their service was very fruitful, eye-catching, encouraging and motivating.. We got to buck up if we are gonna run the race for God.. There's a lot a lot of things we can learn from churches like this and the one in Sitapak .. This is one issue faced by many mega churches.. We got to learn how to pray for our church, our services, our people as well.. That is what we called sacrifical love.. Love that Jesus had shown it all with the death on the Cross..

The Cross had said it all.. Amen..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home